Albert Bloch Archives
The archives at the Max Kade Center include Albert Bloch's writings and
books about him. The center has copies of his entire correspondence.
Click here (xls) for a listing of 3,821 letters to and from Bloch.
Finding Aid for the Bloch Archives (xls) (Lorenz Eichhorn)
To view a larger image, simply click on the desired painting.
Rediscovering Albert Bloch at the University of Kansas
Selections from Albert Bloch Slide Collection
Born in 1882 in St. Louis, Albert Bloch was trained in a local art school. In 1908, Bloch went to Europe to continue his artistic training. In 1911, Kandinsky, along with his friend Franz Marc, visited Bloch’s studio and soon invited Bloch to join them in their new venture, the first exhibition of Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider), which opened in Munich in December 1911. Bloch showed six canvases in the first Blue Rider exhibition. Thereafter Bloch participated in other major avant-garde shows in Europe. Following his return to the United States, Bloch taught for a year at the Academy of Fine Arts in Chicago (1922-23) before accepting the position of head of the department of painting and drawing at the University of Kansas in the fall of 1923. For the next twenty-four years, Bloch taught art and art history at the University. He died in 1961, survived by his second wife, Anna Francis Bloch, whose dedication, knowledge, and accessibility have made the rediscovery of Bloch possible.
Bloch became an admirer of Karl Kraus in 1914 and strove to enhance the appreciation of the Austrian critic in the United States. He translated significant portions of Kraus’s poetry and prose. Due Mrs. Bloch’s generosity, the Max Kade Center has become a resource for research on Bloch’s artistic and literary legacy. Two dissertations, several books, and a number of exhibitions have resulted on the basis of the resources at the center.
In 1997, the Albert Bloch retrospective exhibition took place at three locations: The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Kansas City, the Munich Museum of the Blue Rider (Lenbachhaus), and the Delaware Museum of Art, Wilmington, Delaware.