Department of Germanic Languages & Literatures

Building History and the Jayhawks

The oldest building on the KU campus (visible in the photograph of the 1890s), the Max Kade Annex is closely intertwined with the history known as the View of the Annextime of Bleeding Kansas. In the early days of the Civil War, James H. Lane, the charismatic Kansas political and military leader, had the structure built as a stable.

Lane first popularized the Kansas “Jayhawk.” Rallying free-state militants in 1857, Lane invoked a savage bird: “As the Irish Jayhawk with a shrill cry announces its presence to its victims, so must you notify the proslavery hell-hounds to clear out, or vengeance will overtake them! Jayhawks, remember, ‘vengeance is mine, saith the Lord,’ but we are his agents.”

More on the Jayhawk history

 

Max Kade Annex - Front sideBooks


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today